NCEA Change Package 2019
Last year, New Zealanders were asked to share their views and experiences of NCEA – the challenges, the successes, what they like, and what could be done better. The feedback received from across the country was phenomenal. With New Zealand’s help, several areas where NCEA could be strengthened were identified.
The Minister of Education has announced the NCEA Change Package which will strengthen NCEA for all our young people. The seven changes are:
- Make NCEA more accessible
- Mana ōrite mo te mātauranga Māori
- Strengthen literacy and numeracy requirements
- Have fewer, larger standards
- Simplify NCEA’s structure
- Show clearer pathways to further education and employment
- Keep NCEA Level 1 as an optional level
Around 16,000 New Zealanders took part in the year-long review of NCEA, and the Ministry of Education is to continue to work with stakeholders to confirm a detailed design and implementation plan for the changes by the end of the year.